Thursday, January 18, 2007

"I Don't Know"

So I am here at the church trying to finish up a few things before heading out to meet the wife. I have both boys with me (Nathanael age 8 and Nicholas age 5). Nathanael has finished his homework and is now reading "Prince Caspian" the fourth book from The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (his 4th time reading them through since he got them for Christmas 2005). Nicholas is doing what he does best, playing with balls in the student center, bugging his brother, and asking Dad for a bottle of water. So I get him his water and he proceeds to try and pour water into the cap from the water bottle, spilling it all over my desk and some of the papers that were sitting on it. Nicholas has this puzzled look on his face like, "uh, did I do that?" When I ask him why he was trying to pour water into the cap instead of drinking from the bottle, the only response I get is..."I don't know." I am instantly thinking of Bill Cosby's "Himself" video. That response is repeated thoroughly throughout the movie. If you haven't seen that movie...you should rent it or spend the few bucks and buy it. I guarantee you will laugh and laugh. Over Christmas my sons enjoyed quoting from that movie with their "Papa," so much so, they annoyed Grandma.

So, I ask you, why o we do things like pouring water into a cap of a bottle to drink instead of drinking straight from the bottle? Why do we respond to questions with "I don't know?" Do you think God gets annoyed with us responding to him with "I don't know?"

So what is Nicholas doing now? Trying to see if he can stuff a ball the size of a softball into the sleeve of his long sleeve shirt. Why you ask? "I Don't Know!"

3 comments:

Chelle said...

I told you last nite that he is your son thru & thru...a million mischievous glints in his eyes and you never know which one he will act on!

Tony said...

I don't know if God gets annoyed or not. I would if I were Him. Good thing I'm not. Everything would be... louder.

Kimberly said...

HEE HEE! That's so awesome- carol HATES that move.